In the Netherlands, the Kijkwijzer system is used, which is executed by the NICAM.
- Suitable for all ages (in Dutch: Alle Leeftijden). This does not specifically mean a children's movie or program.
- Not recommended for children younger than 6 years. Replaced the older MG6 ("Meekijken Gewenst"), where parental guidance was recommended for viewers younger than 6 years. This does not specifically mean a children's movie or program.
- Not recommended for children younger than 9 years. Now a standard rating. First used for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban because of very frightening elements that were too strong for the 6 rating, but were not of enough intensity to warrant a 12 rating.
- Not recommended for children younger than 12 years; broadcasting is not allowed before 20:00 (8:00 p.m.). Since 2012, persons under 12 must be accompanied by an adult to be admitted in 12-rated films.
- Not allowed for children younger than 16 years; hence, according to Wetboek van Strafrecht art. 240A, it is forbidden to admit such a person to a screening, or rent out, sell, or give the movie (DVD, video, computer file, etc.) to such a person; broadcasting is not allowed before 22:00 (10:00 p.m.).
Mostly, these icons are used along with other symbols, displaying if a movie contains any one of the following: violence, sexual content, frightening scenes, drug or alcohol abuse, discrimination, or coarse language.
- Netherlands has no true "adult" rating; the highest rating is 16, and the age one is considered an adult in the country is 18. This means that even pornography is released with a 16 rating (and on one occasion with the Bible Black series a 12 rating). However, actors/models in pornography still have to be 18 to participate, the legal age for acting and modeling in pornography in the Netherlands was raised from 16 to 18 in October 2002.
- Japan also lacks a true adult rating; the highest is R18+, and the adult age in Japan is 20.
- Coarse language alone cannot result in a film being passed at an age category of 6 or higher.